Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bathroom wall-hangings


I have been staring at this picture for a long time. It hangs on the bland wall of the washroom,
right next to the toilet, down the hall from my office. I have been studying it for months and in all honesty I am still stumped. I understand what the image is of, I think that's pretty obvious, and maybe I can grasp a little meaning in it. And yet I am still unsure of the full artist's intention but I suppose no one is ever sure unless directly speaking to the creator. Still, this strikes me as a commentary. The other drawings scattered through the washroom are all related, I am sure of it, which only reaffirms my suspicion that the artist has specific intentions with his or her pieces. Here's a closer look at the first drawing.
Odd isn't it? She's hanging by the dress next to her, the dress that actually looks like it would be too small on her when hanging on the hanger.
Maybe the comment is she's being strangled by society's expectations? Or even hung by her vanity? Who knows. In any case there are
multiple drawings similar to this one. I just can't help but look at it every time I take a pee. And I feel it's an odd thing to be looking at while I'm sitting on the toilet. I find myself wanting to look anywhere but. This image makes me uncomfortable. In my experience that
is a key element in dictating what is good art. If a piece makes an individual think or feel or better yet, both, then the artist has done their job. But looking at this I know several children who could produce better artwork than that. But I suppose the intention behind it would need to come from an older audience. No child, none that I know of anyway, would really take the time to specifically address the issue of body image and society. That woman does not look happy. And if that's happiness then life really does suck.
The elongated feet throw me off too. All of the women have these incredibly long feet. Maybe I'm over analysing it but I find it an odd feature. Granted in this picture they aren't nearly as disproportionate as they are in the first but they're still off. Like I said, the more I looked at each photo the more I see the relation. These women all look familiar, hair, style of clothing, earrings, facial expressions... except for their size. There's even a smidgen of height difference. Obviously the weight is really the target. I can't tell what this image is encouraging. Whether it is supporting standard sizing by comparing the two differences and demonstrating a better ideal, or if it opposing just that. I like to think it's anti-conformity.
I mean, who wants to be hung by their clothing? I like my stuff, don't get me wrong, I have a bit of a clothing problem, but I wouldn't want to be consumed by them, hung by them, strangled by them. But maybe these images make me uncomfortable for a reason. Probably because I see parts of myself in them. I can get wrapped up in the ideal of what
is "ideal". Advertising does a damn good job convincing people (not just women, men too) what perfection is. And I am sorry but their "perfection" is airbrushed and no one looks like those models do. And yet we all still buy into it. I like to pretend I'm above all of that deception but I'm not. Like every other woman I have met I have stood in front of the mirror and agonized over how I look. This jiggles too much, that isn't flat enough, why is there a bulge there... the list goes on.




This next picture struck a cord because
of that very problem. Because I had stood, and will probably stand tomorrow, in front of that mirror. I am positive this is meant to disturb. Just look at the proportions! The jetting hip bones, pointed, concave shoulders and drooping breasts. Two of them have their arms crossed in front of them, a symbol of shame, and the smallest has her arms open. Perhaps the comment is that one in three women accept themselves or truly think this is okay? I certainly hope no one thinks that type of body is okay. Of course it's exaggerated but not too far from the truth of what some people think is ideal. No one should be a size 00. Or less, as I'm sure there are. But I think this picture bothered me the most. There is just something so wrong with the whole thing. And it makes a powerful statement. A more identifiable statement. No one has been literally strung up by their dress. But everyone has seen an image of someone who looks dangerously thin and many have thought and criticized themselves on more than one occasion based on the ideal of perfection.

I just find it interesting that these drawings, this artist, was chosen to be displayed in a small, one person bathroom in the basement of the hospital. I've posted the other two below.


No comments:

Post a Comment